Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Late Good-Bye to Summer

This weekend the weather was gorgeous and I was able to get out of the house and into my garden to cut back my flower beds. It's so sad because it means to end of warm weather and the beginning of cold, frost and eventually snow. Then I'm a snow bunny inside where it's warm. I have one bloom on my clematis vine that the frost hasn't hit yet so I'll enjoy it till it's gone..... The upside to this weather change is it also means more quilting time. Yeah..... I'm more productive with my quilting this time of year.

Our quilt bee, The DoBee's got together at my house Monday night to put together our Bee's auction basket donation for the upcoming Roswell Auction. We had so many "quilty" things for the basket that we were able to make 2 baskets. Go DoBees .... ;D) Our Bee also needed to decide on our program for Guild in November and we were able to get a dear friend who does a wonderful program on using antique blocks and quilts in new ways. We have Hostess due for January and went with a "Let it snow" theme and the colors blue and white. Foods or cookies made with coconut and powder sugar were just a few things that would fall into that category. Our drink might be hot chocolate with mini marshmallows finished with peppermint stick for a stirrer. It was a fun time to hang out and renew our Bees direction for the upcoming year. I did cut some foundations squares ahead for string blocks if we had time to sew but we didn't get to it that night. Now the bags of strings and foundation squares are staring at me every time I'm in my sewing room.


The saying "Waste not want not"had come to my mind recently.... it's a saying I heard a long time ago .... I translated it into my quilting life that it means my full strips for quilt projects. The leftovers are then cut and divided into squares, strings, or crumb blocks stash. After string blocks get sewed the little leftovers also join the crumb block bag. I even save the cut offs from borders after joining them with a bias seam. Those triangle shapes are great to use on the corner ends of string blocks. So bottom line is I will never get to the bottom of my stash with my system. Got to love the method to my stashing.

Tuesday I tried a new crockpot dish, Beef Burgundy. It was on America's Test Kitchen on PBS about 2 weeks ago. Click on the link and go under episodes to Favorite Slow Cooker Classics. It was so good .....yummm it's a good cold weather comfort dish that I will make again.....it's a keeper in our house.

Well I'm off to my sewing room.
From your stash let a beautiful quilt be born!

.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog so far. And, thanks for the recipe suggestion. I'll be checking that out next. I find I enjoy cooking way more than when I was working. And, do like your ending line. Way more than my Happy Quilting line! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete