Saturday, September 27, 2008

WOW What a Week

It has been crazy here for over a week and I haven't had the time to post either. I did receive my swap strips that was the very first swap on Quiltville Swap. I had lots of fun with the whole process but especially opening and viewing all fabric strips from everyone that participating in this swap. It was great fun and Judi B was a great hostess.

I was also glad and grateful that I was able to start last week off with my quilting retreat at Turtlerock with a few close friends. It was a much needed and I was able to sew my little heart out with UFOs that have been hovering here for awhile on my shelf. I didn't complete some of my charity quilt tops but that was an error on my part. I just couldn't decide on border fabric and didn't want to haul extra stuff as I vowed I was going to travel lite this time ...... yea right. Needless to say I didn't get those tops completely done because of not having border fabric with me.....that was a Duh what was I thinking moment.

Well we surely had a great time laughing ourselves silly at times. We worked hard to stay out of the kitchen and suppress our motherly instincts to feed the masses as we might not have enough food syndrome. I made a double batch of my Turkey Picadillo which makes a great crock pot dish and cooked the rice ahead so we just had to microwave to warm. I've posted my recipe here to share. Don't judge this recipe by it's ingredients till you try it. I have fooled many a guest with this one even picky eaters.

Turkey Picadillo
 
1 Lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
14 1/2 oz stewed tomatoes
1 Granny Smith apple (I use whatever I have on hand)
1/4 cup dark raisins
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons green olives, chopped coarsely
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
4 cups cooked rice

Saute turkey in a large skillet until not pink. Add the rest of ingredients. Mix well and heat through. Cover and cook on low 20 minutes until vegetables are soft or throw into a crock pot to cook slowly all day. If using a crockpot I usually add more of the spices in it. Serve over rice.


I worked on making my little Granddaugther a coloring book bag. She is around 2 1/2 years old now. She loves to color, cut things out and paste now. I redesigned a tote for her to carry her crayons and books so she can travel around with them. I really like the way it turned out and can't wait to give it to her. I have more cute fabric that I'll probably sew many more for gifts and the children at the women's shelter I donate quilts to.


I was so glad to get my "In The Pink" blocks completed. It was the first quilt kit that I have purchased. I'm not by nature a quilt kit kind of gal but this one pulled me in at a quilt shop over a year ago. My husband periodically will gently asked if I have been working on it. He really liked the quilt too. Now that the blocks are done I can get it up on the design board and get them together hopefully soon

When I came home from retreat Hubby was on vacation ...you know those times when your Hubby is on vacation..... I had plans, he had plans and the plans never meet in the middle of what needs to get done..... I love him dearly but there are those moments I need space. Saturday he is at a contractors auction with our son getting doors and windows for our house. He has a list....hopefully he sticks to it.

Well I have much more to share about my retreat and busy week so I will have to add Part 2 to this adventure another time.
"Till then "From your stash let a beautiful quilt be born!"

1 comment:

  1. THe pink and brown is very pretty. What pattern is this?

    I also saw something about a retreat? Where do you retreat and where in western NY are you?

    ReplyDelete